Saturday 26 October 2013

Letter From Phyllis

My Nana (Marina) kept a letter that her mum (Phyllis) wrote to her dad (John) in 1941. At this time he was away in the Isle of Wight - we believe as some sort of Army reservist or Home Guard, although we do know he was only away for a few months and never saw battle during the War.

That this letter, wrote in pencil, is still (mostly) legible and is still in one piece (although fragile!) is a true wonder. And I now proudly and cautiously have the original. Which I have scanned to keep a digital copy and wrote out most of what it says.

From what I understand, where Phyllis writes about making 'collections', Her husband John Cutty who was away ran some sort of solicitors/insurance business which Phyllis continued while he was away - and she writes most diligently about the up-keep of the business.

Anyway, I have scanned them (4 pages in all) here they are:
(See below for the translations - some words are unclear so apologies for the '?'s)





 
 
The letter reads:
 
 

Thursday October 2nd



22 Hawthorn Crescent
Quarrington Hill
Ferryhill
Co.Durham

My Dearest Boy,

I received your letter this morning and read it while going up to Wheatley Hill to pa in with my collection of £19.18.9 what do you think of it. I saw Paddy this morning that is only the third time I have seen him since you went away. I have never been in his private room yet, Aaron says I had better keep out of his private room or else he will write and tell you.

You know what he is ? ? I must say he has ? Himself a real ? These last weeks. He comes down when there is a warning to see if we are alright but as you know I am not scared I put my trust in god.

Mr Hawbridge at Cassop has been discharged from the army with pains in his arms he says when you get discharged you get a months army allowance that is to say I get 38/- a week from the army I would still get it for a month, also your money, you also get £2.3.0 clothes money isse and ration coupons for a month the ? they give you a month to get a job. Mr Hawbridge was telling me all this this morning do I humour it as true.

As you thought Jacky did not look very well. Well he is full of cold. He had a little sty on his eye on Sunday night when he came back from Barnard Castle. I bathed it and put some eye ointment on and on Monday it was a lot better. When he was playing on the green in front of our house on monday night a boy twice his age hit him right on it, it was swollen 3 times the size. He has had a (Lovely?) eye since, but I am glad to say it seems a lot better this morning.

You need not think I am (ill?) or anything it is the truth I am telling you. When you look at my collection this week you will see that I got back in the house by 6:30 every friday night. I had to go to Mr Jones at ? Hall on tuesday so I just walked on over the bank top past Quarrington Hill church I had finished all my collecting for the week by 3:30 Tuesday. I still got ? Slightly but nothing to talk about. Connie thinks she has never seen me look so fat in the face as I am now but my body is certainly slimmer that is with walking so much.

I will be very disappointed if you dont keep me a photo I dont care if its bad please keep me one Jack.

Our Jacky says his daddy looks better than anybody he has seen. He could eat his dinner on sunday when he knew he was going to see you. I was glad when they got back which was in the 10 past 9 bus because your Auntie Bella was staying with me and she was talking away to herself nearly all the time it made me feel quite (nervy?) it is a pity poor soul. I paid Mrs ? £3.6.0 in his claim. I had to keep 2/6 out to make the years premiums and she gave me 2/- and said I had to buy you something with it. A bit different to Mrs Coalies at Bowburn when I paid £30.1.6 and she never even thanked me. I am sending you these cigs and blades for hear you might want them, if the verdict is what I hope you can always bring them back. The 5/8half you left in your black waist coat is waiting for you when you come home. God bless you and send you soon home to me.

P.S.
I have had 3 periods in 6 weeks. I dont know what to make of it, it is perhaps with having ? ? so bad. I am eating alright and sleeping so that is something. Please dont forget about the photo, you know you laughed at the one of me and edward. Please let me know about the verdict as soon as even you get to know.

Your loving wife Phyllis

? ? Marina is asking me to let her write her name so here it is

((Marina to daddy))
(( xxx xxx ))
(( xx ))




No comments:

Post a Comment